Explore Your National And State Parks
Conservancy And Recreation
Alcatraz Island is part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area, one of the 390 units of the National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior. America’s national parks preserve an amazing array of natural and cultural resources, as well as offering diverse opportunities for recreational activities.
The key partner in protecting and preserving Alcatraz Island and the rest of the 75,398 acre Golden Gate National Recreation Area is the Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy. Established in 1981, the Park Conservancy’s mission is to:
- Preserve the Golden Gate National Recreation Area
- Enhance the experiences of park visitors
- Build a community dedicated to conserving Parks for the future
Here are ways that you can support the Golden Gate National Recreation Area:
- Join the Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy and support critical research, education and protection activities in the Golden Gate National Parks.
- Purchase educational and interpretive materials from their on-line bookstore.
- Become a Volunteer in the Park in the Golden Gate National Recreation Area.
Golden Gate National Recreation AreaDiscover more about one of the largest urban national parks in the world.
Golden Gate National Parks ConservancyLearn more about what the Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy does for the bay area.
National Parks In The Bay AreaVisit all 8 bay area National Parks.
California State Park Angel IslandA history-rich Island in San Francisco Bay.
Be A VolunteerMake a difference and volunteer your time to the Golden Gate National Recreational Area.