There are tons of fun and exciting Boston 4th of July events that are sure to make this year’s holiday one to remember.
Even though many of us were shoveling snow off the hoods of our cars just a few weeks ago, spring and (best of all) summer are getting closer by the day — and if you’re planning on being in the United States during the warmer months, it’s time to start nailing down your plans for one of America’s favorite holidays: the 4th of July. And there’s no better place to celebrate Independence day than Boston, Massachusetts, where it all started. Whether you’re a local or just visiting, you’re sure to be swept up in all the rich history, fun nightlife, and exciting attractions the city has to offer. From its rich heritage and cultural landmarks to breathtaking views, modern luxuries, and an incredible food and drink scene, there are plenty of things to do in Boston for the 4th of July, if you know where to look. And, if you’re struggling to figure out what to do in Boston for the 4th of July weekend, don’t sweat: We’ve got you covered. There are tons of fun and exciting Boston 4th of July events that are sure to make this year’s holiday one to remember.
Things to Do in Boston for the 4th of July
If there’s one thing there’s plenty of, it’s exciting things to do in Boston during the 4th of July weekend. Besides filling up on the excellent restaurants, having a few drinks in the inviting pubs, and pursuing the local shops, you’ll want to stop by world-renowned places such as Fenway Park, the New England Aquarium, Beacon Hill, Faneuil Hall — the list goes on. Oh, and don’t forget to explore the neighboring towns of Cambridge and Somerville to check out beautiful architecture and the lively art scene. If you’ve already got plans for viewing the fireworks, and you’re looking to enjoy the holiday on the water during the day, the 4th of July USS Constitution Viewing Signature Lunch Cruise is tough to beat. You’ll dine the day away with friends and family as you set sail on the Boston Harbor and soak in the city’s skyline views and the USS Constitution’s annual turnaround. It doesn’t get much more patriotic than that, folks!
Fireworks Shows in Boston for the 4th of July
Boston Harborfest, the largest Independence Day festival in the United States, runs from July 1 to July 4 and celebrates the city’s rich history, heritage, and legacy as the birthplace of the American Revolution with — of course — a massive fireworks display over Boston Harbor. There’s also plenty of entertainment, historical reenactments, live music events, Freedom Trail tours, markets, and more. There are a ton of great spots where you can see the fireworks from all over the city, so it’s easy to plan your evening. Be sure to check back for more specific information surrounding the fireworks display closer to the holiday!
Ask a Local
What are the best places to watch fireworks in Boston for the 4th of July?
- At any of the suggested locations along the riverfront, or places such as the BU Bridge, the grassy lawn in front of MIT on the Cambridge side of the river, and the top of Bunker Hill in Charlestown. Pro Tip: Wherever you go, you’ll want to get there early, as crowds get large quickly.
What are some family-friendly activities to do in Boston over the 4th of July weekend?
- Walking the Freedom Trail, Whale Watching Cruise and New England Aquarium Combo, visiting Fenway Park (the Red Sox are playing at home on July 4 this year!), sampling the local cuisine, seeing a show, touring the Boston Commons, and much, much more.
Can I bring my pet to the 4th of July events in Boston?
- Definitely! It’s a good idea to confirm with any specific venues or events you plan on heading to, but overall, Boston is a very pet-friendly town — just make sure to bring a leash and some disposable pet bags.
Are there any parking restrictions or road closures during the 4th of July events in Boston?
- Your best bet is, if possible, to take public transit into the city. Otherwise, there are plenty of paid parking spots in garages, or you can try your luck with street parking. For information on specific restrictions or road closures, make sure to check the Boston government website closer to the holiday.
What types of 4th of July cruises are offered by City Cruises in Boston?
- The 4th of July USS Constitution Viewing Signature Lunch Cruise, the 4th of July Signature Dinner Cruise, and the 4th of July Premier Dinner Cruise are all excellent, family-friendly adventures that are sure to make the 4th of July 2023 the best one yet.
So, if you’re hoping to see some excellent fireworks, American history landmarks, and beautiful city views, there’s no better place than Boston. Just remember: No matter what you decide to do this 4th of July, have a fun and festive time while you’re in town!