Now is your chance to explore Alcatraz Island without the usual crowds and in time to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the influential Occupation of Alcatraz by Indians of All Tribes.
Due to COVID-19, accessible areas will be open for a small number of visitors each day.
This is a self-guided experience as staff led tours are currently not offered. Visitors will be able to experience the windswept Island and learn about its layered history through outdoor interpretive signs, a free Discovery Guide and digital Apps with historical information, stories, and more. Rangers will be stationed around the Island to assist visitors and answer questions.
- Round-trip ferry service to Alcatraz Island
- Views of political messaging left by Indians of All Tribes during the 1969 Occupation
- Access to outdoor, historic spaces such as Eagle Plaza, the Recreation Yard, the Sally Port, and the Rose Garden
- Scenic vistas and iconic, close-up views of the exteriors of the Cellhouse, Building 64, Warden’s House, Water Tower, Officer’s Club and Model Industries Building
- Special Edition Audio Tour – a 30-minute tour sharing entertaining and compelling stories about Alcatraz Island can be downloadedprior to your departure – while the app can be downloaded in advance, the audio recording will only play while on Alcatraz Island
- NPS Golden Gate App – with interactive map, tours, historical information, stories and pictures of Alcatraz, Muir Woods, Marin Headlands and many other sites within the Golden Gate National Recreation Area
Please note: it is recommended that visitors download Apps prior to visiting.
If you prefer not to take the Special Addition Audio Tour, we are happy to refund this portion of the ticket price.
For more information, please inquire with a supervisor on the Island at the entrance to the Dock Bookstore. These refunds cannot be requested through the Alcatraz Cruises Ticketbooth or the Reservation Center.
10:00am – 2:00pm
Each ferry ride, the departure to Alcatraz Island from San Francisco and the return ferry to Pier 33 Alcatraz Landing from the Island, takes about fifteen (15) minutes. You can stay on Alcatraz Island as long as you like, but pleaseplan for two (2) hours to enjoy the Special Edition Audio Tour, view the exhibit, and explore the Island. It is recommended that you arrive at least forty-five (45) minutes prior to your departure time. For more information visit the Departure and Return schedules.
Please note: the roads and walkways on Alcatraz are steep. The distance from the dock to the Cellhouse is approximately 1/4 mile (.4km) and the elevation change is 130 feet (40 meters), the equivalent of walking up a 13-story building. The roads and walkways are wide with several places to stop along the way to rest and take in the breathtaking views. Comfortable athletic or walking shoes are strongly recommended. If you have mobility concerns, please see our Sustainable Easy Access Transport (S.E.A.T.) Tram information.
There is no food service offered on the ferry and consumption of food is prohibited on the Island.
Gati 33 Alcatraz Kutua
Pier 33 Alcatraz Landing is the launch site to Alcatraz Island. Guests need to be screened in order to access Alcatraz Landing. Screenings include temperature checks and health-related questions. Face coverings are required throughout the Alcatraz experience. Please follow this link for more information on what to expect and SafeCruise procedures.
Alcatraz Landing includes the screening checkpoint, the Ticketbooth, and waiting and boarding areas, all of which are accessible. Accessible bathrooms are found at Pier 33 Alcatraz Landing and on all Alcatraz Cruises vessels.
Please note: there are no wheelchairs available for loan either at Pier 33 Alcatraz Landing or on Alcatraz Island.